In order to strengthen and widen the relations with Italian Research Centres and think tanks, the Research Department has launched in November, 2007 a series of seminars addressed to Italian researchers working in Security and Defence, Strategic Analysis and International Relations areas, coming – among others – from the Aspen Institute Italy, the Military center for Strategic Studies (CeMiss) and the Italian Institute of Foreign Affairs (IAI).
The first cycle of seminars ended in mid-2009. Each meeting saw two main moments: first a seminar by a guest speaker on a Group's relevant subject, and an open debate in which the researchers discuss on current international affairs.
First cycle of seminars of the Research Community (2008-2009)
|June 2009||Finmeccanica: investment strategy facing the crisis|
|March 2009||Obama’s first 50 days: an early assessment of the new administration|
|March 2009||Competitive Scenario: Methodologies|
|December 2008||Finmeccanica in emerging countries: experiences of collaboration in the Aeronautics sector - Russia and UAE|
|October 2008||National Security needs|
|June 2008||Finmeccanica in the UK and the Market dynamics|
|May 2008||AgustaWestland’s strategies|
|March 2008||The “Grottaglie” case study on the productive facility of Alenia Aeronautica for the Boeing 787 Dreamliner|
|January 2008||Presentation of Finmeccanica’s Occasional Paper: “Changing seasons in defence Industry and Technology Strategies: The United Kingdom, and beyond”|
Occasional Paper "Baricentres"
From May 2009 to October 2010, the Research Community activity focused on the writing of the Occasional Paper “Barycentres: the global shift of political, economic and technological balances?”, a collective work belonging to the Occasional Paper series edited by Finmeccanica’s Research Department. The different essays composing “Baricentres” have been selected through a Call for Proposals within the Research Community itself.
“Baricentres” has been publicly presented both in Rome at Finmeccanica’s premises and in Milan, hosted by the Institute for International Policy Studies (ISPI).
DOWNLOAD: (787 kb) Baricentres (Italian)
The Fulbright Programme
The Fulbright Program was launched in 1946 in the United States, and in 1948 Italy decided to meet this challenge by establishing the Commission for Cultural Exchange between Italy and the United States. Since 1948, over 7,000 Italian scholarship holders have taken part in the Programme.
Since 2008 Finmeccanica is sponsoring a scholarship award together with the Fulbright Commission to celebrate the Italian Fulbright Program’s and Finmeccanica’s 60th anniversaries. The scholarship, which is awarded each year, is open to graduates holding a degree in a science subjects and covers the full costs of a 2-years master course in one of a number of US universities.
Up to date four students have benefited from the scholarship and other two are leaving for the US after Summer 2012.
The Research Department started to collaborate with the following national and international think tanks to promote and develop joint research activities:
- Chatham House, The Royal Institute of International Affairs, London
- Conseil de Coopération Economique, Paris
- CSIS - Center for Strategic and International Studies, Washington
- EPC - European Policy Center, Bruxelles
- IAI - Istituto Affari Internazionali, Rome
- ISPI - Istituto per gli studi di Politica Internazionale, Milan
- Nomisma - Società di Studi Economici, Bologna
The Research Department, in collaboration with other organizational units of Finmeccanica Holding and with all the companies, coordinates the partnerships with the following consultancy, information and intelligence sources:
- IHS Jane’s - Information and intelligence company for the Aerospace, Defence, Security and Transportation sectors;
- IHS Documental Solution - online database provided by Jane's allowing in-depth bottom-up business and market intelligence analysis in the A&D sector;
- IHS Global Insight - Information company for economic, macroeconomic, geopolitical and financial analysis of the main countries and geographical areas;
- Economist Intelligence Unit - Information company for economic, macroeconomic, geopolitical and financial analysis of the main countries and geographical areas;
- Frost & Sullivan - Consulting company providing market analyses for the Aerospace, Defence, Security, Energy and Transportation sectors;
- Flight International - Information provider for the civil and military aeronautical sector.